Mamaw Linda's Frisco Stew



I have been eating Frisco Stew my entire life, and have yet to learn why it is called "Frisco Stew." But whatever the reason, it is just 3 ingredients, easy, and delicious! Recently, I returned to my family's farm for vacation, and while I was there, my Mamaw made a big dinner! She made Frisco stew, coleslaw, creamed corn, mashed potatoes, cucumbers + onions, rolls and a peach cobbler! I took notes and cooked right along with her. So now, I know exactly how to make Frisco stew!

Mamaw's Frisco stew dinner. 

Now my Mamaw & my mom make Frisco stew a little differently. My Mamaw uses Pork n' Beans, and my Mom uses baked beans. Mamaw's is sweeter, while Mom's is more savory and closer to Cowboy beans (meaty baked beans). This is my Mamaw's version.

Mamaw Linda has a particular way of dicing onions.
See my honorable mentions post (coming soon) to read more of her story and how she had to navigate cooking after she lost her sight. 

First, preheat your oven to 350F.

Next, pour your cans of beans into an oven-safe 9x13 dish. Do not drain, you'll need all that liquid to keep the beans from drying out in the oven. If it feels like a lot of liquid, remember that cooking will evaporate some of it, and once it cools, it will thicken up. 



Then, over medium heat, cook your ground beef with your diced onions. Season with salt, pepper, and onion powder. Once your onions are translucent and your beef is no longer pink, crank up the heat to high, and brown you beef. Remember, brown meat = tasty meat!



Drain your meat of excess grease, and add on top of your Pork n' Beans. Do not mix the beans and beef at this point. Leaving the beef sitting on top gives you yet another opportunity to have nice, brown meat!



Cook in the oven until it's bubbly and the meat on top is nicely browned, about 20-30 minutes. 



Remove from the oven. At this point, you can mix up the beef and beans if you want to. 



We traditionally serve this with mashed potatoes and a variety of vegetable sides. 










Comments