Meatloaf



So I figured I would kick off this blog with a family favorite on the farm. MEATLOAF! This recipe is based on my cousin's meatloaf. Simple, no frills, the kind of meatloaf a child would happily eat (read: no vegetables, heavy seasonings, lots of ketchup). This meatloaf is simple. Just a few ingredients and no real effort. 

So this recipe is pretty straight forward, nothing too complicated. No knife skills required. Only one mixing bowl and a casserole dish or loaf pan (whichever you have). Some things to remember about meatloaf.
  • The more you mix it, the tougher it becomes. So throw all the ingredients in, then mix just to incorporate. 
  • If you don't have flavored breadcrumbs, Saltines or Ritz crackers would work just as well.
  • After you pull the meatloaf out of the oven, let it rest. Like any cooked meat, it has lost some of its yummy flavor juices. So let it sit on the counter for about 20 to 30 minutes. This also helps retain the loaf shape, and keeps you from having a crumbly meat loaf.
  • Some people don't put ketchup on top of their meatloaf. That's fine. I do. If you don't want to do that, then maybe put some brown gravy on top instead. (But definitely keep the ketchup in the meatloaf). 

Like I said, this recipe is very simple and easy. Toss all your ingredients into a mixing bowl, and mix. Then form into a loaf in your pan, leaving a little gap, top it with ketchup (or don't) and stick it in the oven! Ta-daaa!



Cook for 1 hour at 375F, then turn the heat up to 415F for 15-20 more minutes, or until the ketchup on top caramelizes. Remove from oven and let sit for 15-20 minutes.

I like to serve with either garlic mashed potatoes, spicy glazed carrots & dill peas or Hidden Veggie Mac-n-Cheese, and garlic green beans!









Comments

  1. When I was 8 I made my first meatloaf and we used fresh breadcrumbs. I had to tear up the pieces of white bread and didn't do a good job of it. So, all I can remember are these globs of soggy wonder bread encased in hamburger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice memory, up until the soggy wonder bread meat loaf! I do not use fresh bread in my meatloaf for that exact reason, soggy bread blobs. Some people like, some people don't. I think breadcrumbs hold the meat loaf together much nicer than pieces of bread.

      Delete

Post a Comment