Flourless Nutella Mug Cake



Like most of the people in my family, I have an intolerance to wheat. So that means that on the vast list of comfort foods I cannot have is one of my favorites: chocolate cake. Trying to replace chocolate cake has been the hardest wheat-free challenge I have ever had. Gluten-free mixes can be purchased at the store but always have the strangest gritty texture? I have attempted my own from-scratch baked goods, but wheat flour alternatives are expensive, making a wheat free cake a luxury. 

Looking for recipes online is another pain. When searching "gluten-free" or "wheat-free" recipes, pages of recipes appear, but with those same gritty, expensive wheat-alternative flours. But I have found the answer! Instead of searching gluten or wheat free, I searched "flour free" and this was the first recipe that popped up. Lo and behold, I had all the ingredients, and I definitely had a big mug and a microwave! So I gave it a shot. 

And let me tell you something... I can't get enough of this cake. It's main ingredient is chocolate hazelnut spread. Now this particular spread has a tendency to overpower whatever you put it in. But with the addition of a little cocoa powder, this cake tastes like any other chocolate cake!

A word of warning however: it is not healthy. For years I thought (as it was advertised this way) that Nutella was a protein-packed, chocolate-flavored equivalent of peanut butter! It isn't. It really isn't. 
Just like SunChips are supposed to be healthy for you and they definitely aren't any healthier than regular chips, so proclaim-eth American Dad. 


Nutella is about as healthy as you would expect chocolate spread to actually be. So don't be fooled (like I was) into thinking that this will be a healthier alternative to cake. It isn't. Especially when you make it three times in one day like I did. 


With that said, let's make this cake! It's super easy!
In your most oversized mug, crack an egg, plop some chocolate hazelnut spread, and scoop some cocoa powder. Whisk until it is well combined and the egg is broken up.



Stick it in the microwave, on High, for 1 minute and 10 seconds. (This will vary depending on the strength of your microwave. I have a 1000W microwave. Adjust times accordingly).  



After it comes out of the microwave, let it set for at least 5 minutes. This allows it to finish cooking, and settle down. I will be the first to say that it isn't very pretty. But if you cover it in ice cream, or powdered sugar, or more chocolate hazelnut spread, nobody will ever know!



Top it with whatever you want, or nothing at all! Plate it up, or eat it straight out of the mug!





Comments