Experimenting with Breakfast Grits

So this week I went to Cracker Barrel for the first time in a while and ordered some grits with my bacon and hashbrowns. It was there that I remembered, I love grits! Ever since I was diagnosed with my wheat allergy, breakfast is a bit of a struggle for me. No more sugary cereals, no more biscuits and gravy, no more toast. So, I have fallen back in love with grits and oatmeal porridge. 

Instant grits are just as good!
Don't spend forever on normal grits, it's too early in the morning for that!

After my rediscovery of grits, I stopped at the store and got some simple quick/instant kind. Not knowing what to put in my grits, I decided an experiment was in order. So I made way too many servings of grits and mixed stuff into them! With my recently acquired Dickinson's Blackberry preserves and Cracker Barrel syrup, and a jar of Nutella I went to work! 

I made my grits by box specifications, easy enough! Bring appropriate amount of water to boil, then slowly whisk in grits and a pinch of salt. Once they are fully incorporated, turn the heat down to a medium-low heat, cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes!



While our grits are bubbling away, lets talk about them! If you are unfamiliar with grits, they are made from ground hominy and are typically boiled to create a porridge or mush. They are a staple in Southern Cuisine, but can be bought all over the country. They can be served sweet for breakfast, or super cheesy and creamy as a starch for your dinner! Grits are incredibly versatile, and when push comes to shove, can replace polenta (just grab the yellow instead of white, and avoid instant!) Common toppers for breakfast grits are sorghum, fruits, or poached eggs! There are a thousand ways to dress grits! Experiment for yourself!


Now that they're done, it's time to throw stuff in 'em and see what's good! 

Blackberry preserves and butter. 2/5 stars. It's alright, but a little too sweet for me. 

Nutella. Once again, Nutella tasted good on the thing I decided to slap it on. 4/5.
Wish I had some fresh strawberries or bananas to throw on top and it would be perfect. 
Aaah butter and syrup. So simple. So tasty. 5/5.
Some people use Sorghum instead of syrup. I don't have sorghum, but I wished I did.



How do you like your breakfast grits? Comment your favorite toppers!

Comments